Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year! I know I’m a few days late with this message, but better late than never. I had an incredible New Year’s Eve. Since I originally started planning this trip, I knew that one of the places I HAD to go was Sydney for New Year’s Eve. I was lucky enough that my wonderful friend from home, Alex, wanted to join me for this part of the trip. Alex and I have known each other since we were 12, worked together in the veterinary hospital and both love to travel. We previously went to Brazil together in 2007 so I knew we would travel well together.  It was so much fun to see another face from home!



Before we met up Alex had spent just over a week in India and I had spent about a month in China (I promise I’ll write that blog entry next – I know I’m out of order but I’m so excited to write about Australia!). We were both coming from very serious, emotional, difficult travel journeys, so the relaxed feel of Sydney was exactly what we needed. Speaking for myself, after being on tours for 7 months, I just needed to spend a week in one place without having to pack my backpack! I thought we would take a few days to relax but instead we just started with the activities immediately. Alex did the Harbour Bridge Climb, which is just an incredible experience! You get to be breathalized, scanned for any metal or objects that could fall and harnessed to the bridge. You climb up while cars zip by below you. You can even lean over the side and see nothing but the open water. Once you get to the top you have the most fabulous view of Sydney city – such a unique, amazing thing to do. If you’re ever in Sydney, I'd highly recommend it!








We spent a day going out to the Blue Mountains as well. The morning was my personal favorite – we got to go to a wildlife park and pet the koalas! There were so many of them there, most of them
just sleeping. Did you know they sleep 18 – 20 hours a day and spend the rest of their time eating? Sounds like a great life to me! We also go to feed an ice cream cone full of popped rice the kangaroos. If you ask Alex, I spent my time trying to force feed them, then when they refused to eat it, I ate a little something myself. I won’t way he was telling the truth…but I guess you can be the judge!


We spent the afternoon driving around the Blue Mountains and admiring the amazing views. It is such a beautiful, diverse country – though I would say for the most part I would call them hills, not mountains! Another day we went wine tasting in the Hunter Valley, a couple hours outside Sydney. I figured since Australian wine is delicious, it only made sense that we went out to visit its origin. It was fun trying wine from each of the small wineries, what a wonderful way to spend a day!



We also spent a few days just exploring Sydney. I was lucky enough to have quite a few friends who live in Sydney, both local Australians and fellow travelers, so we got to spend some time with them. We went out to Kings Cross and Oxford Street with both Tony from Texas and my friend Jason from Aus and had incredible nights out! After Alex left I was also lucky enough to meet up with Kari and Jaimie (who I met in Europe in 2009) as well as Dwayne who I met in SE Asia. It’s such a small world! We also spent an afternoon at Bondi Beach, something that you just can’t miss. We went there on New Year’s Day and it was insanely packed. There were people crammed in with absolutely no personal space, but it was still great to see the beach.



And of course, the most important part of Sydney, New Year’s Eve. I was so, SO excited for this! I was lucky because Alex thought ahead and booked us tickets back in October to the Sydney Opera House Bar. It is right next to the opera house, which fabulous views both of the opera house and the Harbour Bridge. You can’t get a better location, I was so happy with his decision! We got there early to stake out good seats and we definitely did – right on the water where nobody could stand in front of us. We spent the evening eating the delicious appetizers and chatting with the fun people around us.


Finally, the finale – the fireworks! It was the most incredible show. To our left they were shooting off the top of the Harbour Bridge, raining down from the middle section, there is a light show in the middle and behind the bridge there were more fireworks. On our right was the Opera House with fireworks behind it. Directly in front of us there were barges on the water with more fireworks, and directly behind us fireworks were shot off the tops of the buildings on the cityscape. There were literally fireworks in every direction that we looked! I honestly couldn’t have asked for more, it was perfect. After ringing in 2012 in such a spectacular fashion, I can’t imagine what else it has to bring!

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year! Sounds like an amazing time! I'm glad you posted because I worry about you if I don't hear from you for a while. It looks like you are having a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete