Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Amazing Croatia!

Croatia. Oh Croatia. I was so excited for this part of the trip! After Morocco and Eastern Europe, which were so fast paced and tiring, I thought it would be nice to have some time of complete relaxation. What better way to accomplish this than to spend a week sailing around Croatia. I boarded a boat with my 35 new best friends and off we sailed. Our boat was called the Labrador and it looked a bit like an old pirate ship. There were 3 levels of cabins and lots of places for lying down and getting some sun or just relaxing with your book. Here is a shot of our beautiful boat.


Every morning started with a breakfast, which I generally skipped in order to sleep more. I finally woke up when we had our first swimming stop at 10:30 – I know, tough life! Each day we had one or two swimming stops, where we would jump off the side of the boat and just float around for a while. The water was so salty that you didn’t really have to do anything to float – maybe kick your legs once in a while, but otherwise it was the most relaxing time of the day. It was also the only way to cool down sometimes – of course Croatia was having the biggest heat wave of the summer, so it was impossible to beat the heat in any other way. I would just float for hours, it was so nice!


Each afternoon we would dock at a port city and go in for a quick wander. Some of the cities were tiny and consisted of nothing more than a couple shops and a winery, while others like Dubrovnik where large with lots of things to do. I really enjoyed our day in Dubrovnik – we kayaked out to an island and went snorkeling. The kayaking was really hard work, but at least my friend CJ and I succeeded, unlike some of the other pairs! We also spent the afternoon walking around the city walls. They encompass the entire old city and you can walk around the whole city like that. It was absolutely beautiful and I took so many pictures, I would be embarrassed to post them all!



In the evenings we would generally have a nice dinner then we had the option to go to a cool bar or club. I was a bit surprised by the food there – it’s all Italian! Pizza, pasta, gelato, you name it! I guess the Italy is just across the water and the ruled Croatia for hundreds of years, but it still surprised me. Croatia had some of the coolest bars I’ve ever been to – one of them was on its own island, where you had to take a boat out to the island and there was absolutely nothing else out there. You could wander down to the beach or sit in the trees, it was so cool! In Dubrovnik we went to a bar that was built between the city walls. It was really narrow, but felt very old and unique. On our final night we went to a club that was inside a cave! It was built back into the mountain and it was really loud and the music bounced off the walls – so fun! I was quite impressed with the nightlife in Croatia.

All in all, I really loved Croatia. I think going by boat is the best way to see the country, because you can see many islands in a short period of time without spending a lot of time traveling. Even though I’ve never been so hot for so long, a long dip in the water seemed to be the cure for everything. I would highly recommend that everyone visit the beautiful, historical country of Croatia!

No comments:

Post a Comment